Thursday, March 8, 2012

We Know! (Part 3) (I John 5:20)




And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

THE STUDY:

These last three verses (18,19,20) have been a recap of what John has been sharing in this letter: Defeat of sin (18), We are from God (19), and we have an understanding that comes from the one who is the truth (20). Today we are going to look at truth!
How may one know the truth? Only as it is revealed to us from God: the Son of God has come and has given us understanding. Truth exists, and it is knowable. Truth resides in, and is communicated through, a person—him who is true. A clear mind, understanding (dianoian), comes from the Father through the Son of God. The perfect tense of the Greek verb translated “has given” suggests that God continues to open our minds to more truth in Christ.
The truth can be lived in by ordering our lives by revealed truths about God. But John claims more. The faith to which he points involves also living in right relationship with the author of the truth. That is, we are in him who is true, namely we are in … Jesus Christ. When we enter into a relationship with God’s Son, we enter into the truth. Truth is uniquely incarnate in Christ. But truth also becomes incarnate in those believers who trust in Christ. Receiving this incarnated truth restores us to the knowledge of the one true God, whom to know is eternal life (John 17:3).[1]

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away with the understanding that the truth that set’s God’s people free is the truth that is lived out through the believer by the Spirit that dwells inside them.

CONCLUSION:

           When I was younger I found myself looking at situations from a worldly point of view: premarital sex, drinking beer, the language I used, and my negative attitude was all acceptable. WHY? Because, by the worlds standards, they were natural. But, after entering into this relationship with Christ I have come to see through the eyes of the one who is “the way, the TRUTH, and the life.” What does this mean? It means, I have had the truth revealed to me. As I continue to grow in Christ, this truth becomes a part of me. By this truth I come to the realization of eternity with Christ.
          My hope for you today is that you know the truth, allow the truth to become part of you, and live out that truth so that others may see it and receive it as well.
         
Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (173–174). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment