Friday, May 11, 2012

Bring it on? No, No, No! (Jude 8 – Part 3)




Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones.
               
THE STUDY:

           Over the last couple of days we have looked at the word “dreams” and how it relates to the action of the three following phrase: defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. Yesterday we talked about rejecting authority! Today we are going to look at how these people, through their so called dreams, would blaspheme the glorious ones.
          Just like the people of Sodom and Gomorrah who, in some scholar’s opinions, lusted after the heavenly messengers, the false teachers blaspheme the glorious ones. The glorious ones refer to angels (see 2 Pet 2:10).
          This passage is admittedly unclear, but the slander of glorious ones probably means that the false teachers were belittling the angelic powers of evil. Not even the archangel Michael was so arrogantly disrespectful (v 9).
The intruders in the church of Jude’s dear friends perpetrated the same kinds of sins as the rebellious Israelites, the fallen angels, and the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. Disregarding God’s punishment of wickedness, these dreamers exhibit the same sinfulness God has consistently punished in the past.[1]

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that even though we have the power of the Holy Spirit living through us as believers, does not mean we should disregard or even entice an encounter with the evil one. Christ never demonstrated this nor should we.

CONCLUSION:

           Back in my home town in West Virginia I was filling in for my pastor one Sunday night. I preached a sermon were I got a little excited and said something I wish I could have taken back. I enticed Satan, or better yet, I challenged him by saiying, “Bring it on!” After stepping down from the platform I had one of our dear friends inform me, in a loving way, that you should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER challenge Satan. I wish I could tell you my friend was wrong but they were right! The next couple of days were challenging to say the least.
          Let us remember that it is through Christ that we are able to overcome the evil one. If you are like me, in my younger days, you thrive on challenges. There will be challenges today! Let Christ and his power, love, and strength be your resource to which the battle is fought. Through Christ you will have VICTORY!

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Powers, D. G. (2010). 1 & 2 Peter/Jude: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (277). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment