Thursday, October 11, 2012

Enduring Ridicule! (Nehemiah 4:3)





Tobiah the Ammonite was beside him, and he said, “Yes, what they are building—if a fox goes up on it he will break down their stone wall!”

THE STUDY:

          Over the last few days we have looked at “Ridicule” and how it was used to try and discourage Nehemiah and the people. The ring leader of this ridicule was Sanballet but he had people who were willing to join in.
          Tobiah echoed Sanballat’s first argument and exaggerated it. The wall, he claimed, was so weak that even a small animal would knock it down. This final insult was perhaps the most disheartening. This of course was not at all true, for archaeological excavations found Nehemiah’s wall to be about nine feet thick.[1]

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….


  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that the enemy will not set limits upon himself. He will not only ridicule the individual, the team, and/or the item used for the mission God has called them too. He will even attack the project itself. One could look at this as a direct ridicule toward God himself.

  • When ridicule arises while doing the will of the Father we need to look at this as confirmation. We are doing exactly what the Lord wants us to do.


APPLICATION:

When I look back on my life, especially those days without the Lord, I see myself as Sanballet. I worked with some wonderful folks who all attended the local Nazarene Church. I was hard on them! I ridiculed them because of their beliefs. I would make fun of them for not going out and partying like I did. What I found was that they stayed true to the mission God had for them and that was to be a light into my darken life. Because of them I am who I am today.
Today, God has a calling on your life. You are going to be ridiculed by others because of it but you never know whose life you may change. That person may be the next pastor, next missionary, Sunday school teacher, etc. Endure the ridicule and be partakers of the blessings because of it!

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod

[1] Breneman, M. (1993). Vol. 10: Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther (electronic ed.). The New American Commentary (194). Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment