Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I John 3:19-20 (Part 4)


View Video Blog, Right Click Link: I John 3:19-20 (Part 4)

By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; 20 for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

THE STUDY:

This morning the word that jumps out at me is “everything!” God knows and sees everything! What is the “everything” God knows? Is it that we are better or worse than we think? Have we failed to love, or have we loved better than we think? God “knows we are basically lovers of the brethren (v 14) and as such, are lovers ‘of the truth’ (v 19).” Is our assurance primarily grounded in our performance or in God’s love and mercy?[1]
Since the issue here is “whenever our hearts condemn us,” our assurance is found in god’s love and Mercy. God’s forgiving love in the “blood of Jesus” is greater than our hearts. The condition is our troubled hearts, the consequence is that God in Christ is greater than our hearts. And the explanation is that God knows us better than we know ourselves. We can trust his love![2]

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning understanding that God’s love and Mercy is where our assurance lay. Not how good we are in regards to works but how good God is! Not in our occupation (pastor, teacher, etc …) but in God’s occupation: HOLINESS!
  • We also walk away understanding that this love and mercy is not something to be taken for granted. Accepting God and his love and mercy is an act that is initiated by us. This love and mercy can also be rejected and left behind by the same person: US!

CONCLUSION:

           What I find so amazing about God is that he sees us for who we can become and not who we are at moments in our lives. Those moments that are not very appealing. I am reminded of times in my life that I have said something, did something, or acted out over something in a very ungodly way. I would look in the mirror afterwards and think to myself, “I don’t like who I see or what I did!” If it was up to me I would have done away with myself. But God didn’t just see those ungodly acts, He saw who I was to become. For that, I am so thankful!
          This morning, you may have said something or did something, recently, that you are not too proud of. I want to encourage you by letting you know that God has seen what happened but He also sees who you can become. Ask God to forgive you and move toward that person God know you can become.

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (127). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.
[2] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (127). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment