Friday, January 13, 2012

I John 4:8


No Video Blog for this Devotional!

Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

THE STUDY:

          Over the next few days we will see John emphasizing one of the main characteristics of God: LOVE! In verse 8 John is very blunt, “Anyone who does not love does not know God.” This present knowledge of God and the true nature of love is not a secret disclosed only to a select few. It flows out of a relationship available to all. Loving is to be a lifestyle. Thus, John states that to live in a habitual condition of not loving is to live as strangers to God. Those who live in this way do not know God because God is love. By manifesting love, we demonstrate that we know God. Our character becomes increasingly what we were created and redemptively re-created to be. When we are born of God, we begin truly to know God.[1]
         
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that to know God is to love and to not love is to not know God. When we pursue God we will come into this loving relationship that will be exemplified by God and impersonated by us.

CONCLUSION:

          I remember when I was young in my walk with God. I had a daughter that was about 2 years old and God spoke to me saying, “She will marry a guy just like you!” My first thought was, “I will kill him!” Up to that point in my life I was not a great example for my daughter. But from that moment on my life changed because I knew she would be watching me. She would be imitating what she seen from me.     When we come into a relationship with God we will imitate God. Therefore we will love!

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod


[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (142). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment