Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I John 3:13


View Video Blog, Right Click Link: I John 3:13

Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you.

THE STUDY:

We should not be surprised to the fact that the world hates those who believe in Jesus Christ. The Greek word for surprise is “Thaumazo” which means: marvel or be amazed. We get a sense that John was sharing with the reader do not be amazed to the hatred. As a matter of fact, we as believers should almost expect it. Expect what? Hatred! The Greek word is “Miseo” which means: hate, despise; disregard, be indifferent to.
The world has already been depicted in 1 John as hostile to God (1 John 2:15–17). John will describe it later as the domain of false prophets and antichrists (1 John 4:1–5), a place given to “the evil one” (5:19), and thus a sphere to be overcome[1]

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

We walk away this morning knowing that, as a believer in Christ, the world will hate or disregard us. Let us not be surprised! The world is what needs the light and that light will resonate from those whose spirit/nature is that of Christ!


CONCLUSION:

           I am reminded of a young lady who started to come to the church I was pastoring. She was married but would attend without her husband. He was one of those guys who found it easier to hate than love. Their relationship was very turbulent but her love for Jesus was very strong.
          One day he was outside the church and I was introduced to him by a friend. I extended my hand to greet him and he looked at my hand, then looked at my face and walked away. I thought to myself, what did I do to him to cause such hatred. I have come to realize that it wasn’t me but the Spirit that dwells inside me.
          I am not surprised that the world hates us. It’s not me they hate but the one who dwells inside. When the spirit that dwells inside you doesn’t line up with the spirit of this world don’t be shocked by the hatred or resistance. Pray for them and move on!

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (122). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment