Monday, April 9, 2012

Carnality can be a Divider! (3 John 9)




I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority.

THE STUDY:

This morning we look at this epistle that refers to a previous letter written by John. Some scholars believe this is referring to 2 John while other believe it is a lost letter. John wrote “something” to the church that Diotrephes doesn’t like, feel its worthy, or refuses to acknowledge the sender.
John asserts that Diotrephes … loves to be first, and does not acknowledge our authority. The Greek translates this as simply he does not receive us. The elder wrote to Gaius because Diotrephes had refused hospitality to traveling ministers affiliated with John (v 10). Consequently, John accuses Diotrephes of placing himself above ministry, saying he loves to be first (NIV). The Greek word philoprōteuōn comes from phileō, which means (to love), and prōtos, which means (first).
Third John may be evidence of some kind of power struggle between two church leaders in the churches. This may have been nothing more than conflict over congregational organization.[1] Whatever the reasoning, there is a common denominator when it comes to any division within churches, organizations, or even marriages: Carnality (relating to somebody's physical needs or appetites, especially as contrasted with spiritual or intellectual qualities)!  

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that just like the world, the church can become hostage to (Carnality) man. What would cause such a deep divide in a community bound together by love? The answer is very simple: US! This is why Paul was so passionate when he said, “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.” (Col 3:2-5)

CONCLUSION:

I remember early on in my marriage, Shelly and I would have some “heated discussions.” I am not proud of those moments but I have learned from them. The one major lesson learned from these discussion was the understanding of WHY? Why were we arguing? I am not against having discussion but just as long as they are productive and not destructive.
To answer the question, WHY, is simple: Carnality! Speaking only for myself, I wanted to be right! It didn’t matter what it was about, as long as I was right and she knew it, I WON! Like I said, I am not proud of this but it is what it is! I had to die to self! Once I realized what I was doing and allowed Christ to have victory over this issue of carnality, our marriage became whole (one) again!
My prayer for you today is that you may see this issue in your life. You might exhibit carnality in your church (I can do a better job than others), in your job (I deserve that position), or in your marriage (I want to be right, no matter what the cost). Whatever the case may be, let … your life (be) … hidden with Christ in God.

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod


[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (214). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment