Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Who Me? (Jude 1) [Part 2]



          Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ:

THE STUDY:

          After identifying himself as the author, Jude addressed the recipients of the letter. Jude addressed his readers as the “called” (klētois), “loved” and “kept.” Jude will use this threefold scheme throughout the letter.
          Jude first describes the spiritual gifts the believers have received. That is, those who have been called are Christians. They have left the world of sin and have entered the light of life.
“Who are loved by God the Father.” Jude uses language that is similar to Paul’s letter to the Romans: “You … who are called to belong to Jesus Christ. To all in Rome who are loved by God” (1:6–7). When God calls sinners to himself through Jesus Christ, he as their Father expresses his love to them. He welcomes sinners into the family of believers and the household of God. Through Christ, then, believers experience the continual love of God the Father.
          “And kept for Jesus Christ.” These words echo the prayer of Jesus concerning his disciples: “While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me” (John 17:12). Jesus protects his followers from the evil one.[1]

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that being a believer is one who is called, loved, and kept by Christ.

CONCLUSION:

           As I reflect on the past I can see how Christ was at work in my life. He was calling me to him by bringing people into my life: neighbors, school friends, and such. His love for me was the same then as it is now. I may not have seen Him at the time, but looking back I can see how he was protecting me. We call this “Prevenient Grace.”
This is a Christian theological concept rooted in Augustinian theology. It is divine grace that precedes human decision. It exists prior to and without reference to anything humans may have done. As humans are corrupted by the effects of sin, prevenient grace allows persons to engage their God-given free will to choose the salvation offered by God in Jesus Christ or to reject that salvation offer.
My prayer is that you know God is calling you, He loves you and He wants to keep you from the evil one. Who me? YES YOU! No matter what you are going through in life, these aspects of God are true! 

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Kistemaker, S. J., & Hendriksen, W. (1953-2001). Vol. 16: New Testament commentary : Exposition of the Epistles of Peter and the Epistle of Jude. New Testament Commentary (367). Grand Rapids: Baker Book House.

No comments:

Post a Comment