Thursday, February 9, 2012

Crumbling Mountains! (I John 5:3)


For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

THE STUDY:

          I think we touched on the aspect of keeping God’s commandments yesterday. Verse 2 stated “obey” his commandments. That word tells us to “do” whereas the word found in verse 3 “keep” means TO GUARD! Either way, God’s commandments are to be obeyed and kept.
          What I want to point out this morning is the last part of this verse, And his commandments are not burdensome. John does not consider the commands of God a burden to be endured. Rather, when Christians obediently embrace them, we give evidence of our new, divinely given life. That new life is lived in victory because God empowers us so we can obey.[1]
                   
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • So we walk away this morning with the understanding that what God requires of us is not something we cannot do but something we can do through His power, His grace, and His love. Through Him we are able to have VICTORY in our lives.

CONCLUSION:

            I am sure you have talked with someone and they have said these words, “I can’t do it,” “I am not strong enough,” “Following God is too hard.” As a believer we should not be surprised when we hear this. I have an old saying that I heard from someone, “If it was easy everyone would be doing it.” “Anything worth having is going to be hard.”
          But the thing that you and I know is, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13) So, today as you face the difficulties of life, when it seems to hard, when you feel like giving up, remember this passage and recite it in the face of Satan and watch those mountains crumble.

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod


[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (158). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment