Friday, February 3, 2012

To love or Not to Love (I John 4:21)




And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.[1]

THE STUDY:

Love for God is evidenced by the attitudes and relationships one has toward a brother and sister (adelphon). The term brother indicates a member of the Johannine community. This loving is neither automatic nor dependent on feelings. If love can be commanded, John presumes obedience is a choice. Obedience is an act of choice, not an involuntary emotional response. The command is to do the right thing, regardless of how we feel about another. If we can obey the command to love, then surely we can disobey it as well.[2]
                   
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that TO LOVE OR NOT TO LOVE, that is the question. Love is a choice not a reaction from emotion.

CONCLUSION:

           I remember in the early years of my marriage, in the heat of a discussion with my wife, I would say to her, “You make me so mad!” Her response was, “I don’t make you mad. You choose to be mad.” This, in turn, caused me to become more upset. As hard as it was to admit, she was right!
          The same is true when it comes to love. If I choose to be mad I also choose to love. Someone doesn’t necessarily make me love them, I choose! John is saying, love me and you will love you brother.

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod


[1] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. 2001 (1 Jn 4:21). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.
[2] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (152). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment