Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love vs Fear (I John 4:18)


View Video Blog, Right Click Link: Love Vs. Fear (I John 4:18)

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

THE STUDY:

God’s love is not only something we receive. It also transforms us and enables our response of love to God and for others. Abiding in God’s love, living in the flow of “perfect love,” we are enabled to love one another authentically.
In a relationship of mutual love there is no necessity for “fear” in God’s presence. Love is personified as the agent expelling all fear. The power of love triumphs over fear. This “perfect love,” which originates from God, achieves its purpose in persons, toward one another, and returns to God. This process “drives out fear.”[1]
The words “fear has to do with punishment” are literally, “fear has punishment.” Fear carries with it a kind of torment that is its own punishment.[2]
                   
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We can walk away this morning with the understanding that Love and Fear cannot coexist. One will expel the other. Which does which, is determined by us. We can either let fear rule us or love. I choose love.

CONCLUSION:

           As I read this verse this morning I was reminded of my days as a teenager.  The number one fear in my life back then was not school, teachers, coaches, or my grades! My number one fear was girls. I was always fearful of asking them out on a date. This fear would rule me when it came to dating. It determined who I would ask out and how. I would do the research (getting my friends to ask if she liked me or would she go out with me) and process all that information with my committee (a group of guys who I called friends). Going back to my class reunions, years later, I found out that all of my research and processing was usually false.
John was reminding the readers of God’s perfect love. A love that reveals security in God is not a fear of punishment. Fear blinds, confuses, and distorts, the truth. Love reveals, explains, and helps to see the truth. Which one will be our guide today?


Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod


[1] Williamson, R. (2010). 1, 2, & 3 John: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary (151). Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press.
[2] Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (1 Jn 4:18–19). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment