Wednesday, August 15, 2012

All Prayers Get Answered! (Nehemiah 2:1 Part 2)




In the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was before him, I took up the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had not been sad in his presence.


THE STUDY:

          Yesterday we looked at how much time had elapsed before Nehemiah approached the king. Today we are looking at “how” Nehemiah approached him. We read that Nehemiah had not been sad in his presence and this was not customary. In those days Eastern monarchs were sheltered from anything that might bring them unhappiness (Es. 4:1–2) When Mordecai learned all that had been done, Mordecai tore his clothes and put on sackcloth and ashes, and went out into the midst of the city, and he cried out with a loud and bitter cry. 2 He went up to the entrance of the king’s gate, for no one was allowed to enter the king’s gate clothed in sackcloth.; but on that particular day, Nehemiah could not hide his sorrow.[1]
          There is two possible reason’s Nehemiah approached the king in such a manner. 1) Nehemiah was being led by God and this was the right time to present to the king his problem or 2) Nehemiah tried to withhold his emotions from the king as he was waiting on the Lord and just could not do it anymore. Whatever the case may we will learn that God had prepared the kings heart for this occasion.
                  
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that in Gods timing the task will be addressed. When and where, will be in His hands. How we deal with it, if led by the Holy spirit, will help to accomplish God’s will. Nehemiah trusted the Lord, had Faith that He heard and will respond to the request, but still had to deal with his emotions during the process. This is normal and expected by God.

APPLICATION:

           My son approached me a few months ago and asked the question, “how do we know that all this about Jesus is true?” I will have to admit, deep down in my heart I was pierced. But my exterior was solid as a rock. I didn’t flinch or whimper, I acted like this was just an ordinary question. I could see in my wife’s eyes she was not handling this well. I believe she was ready to cast out demons and throw Holy water on him (and we are not catholic)!
          We sat down that evening and had a great talk and ended the conversation with this statement, “Look to God for the answer and in his timing, he will reveal it!” As he walked away I was flooded with emotions, (fear, sadness, anger, love) but the one thing that rose to the top was trust! I trusted that my god would answer our prayer.
          Long story short, a few weeks later my son comes back from teen camp “ON FIRE” for God! I saw him coming and he ran up to me and hugged me like we had not seen each other for months. He looked into my eyes and said, “Dad, god answered our prayer!” “He is alive and well within me!”
          Today, you might be thinking “when will God answer my prayers” or “Will He at all?” I am here to encourage you this morning by saying this, all prayers get answered! When and how is up to the Lord. Proverbs 3:5-6 is a passage I encourage you to memorize, Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod

[1] Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). Be Determined. “Be” Commentary Series (25). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment