Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Opposition Will Rise! (Nehemiah 2:10)




But when Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite servant heard this, it displeased them greatly that someone had come to seek the welfare of the people of Israel.

THE STUDY:

          What we find in this verse is two individuals: Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite. Sanballat is believed to be the governor of Samaria which was close to Jerusalem.   
          “Tobiah the Ammonite official” was likely governor of Ammon, although he may have been an Ammonite official under Sanballat’s authority. Tobiah is a Jewish name and not Ammonite, but the Tobiad family was to have influence in Ammon for a long time.28 These Tobiads may have been descendants of the Tobiah who in Ezra 2:60 was rejected from the Jewish community because “they could not show that their families were descended from Israel.” If so, their long-standing enmity against the Jewish community may have begun at that time.
          Earlier in the reign of Artaxerxes their complaints against Jerusalem had been accepted by the king, who decreed that the Jews stop building. So a Jew coming now as governor, with authorization to build, greatly disturbed them.[1]
                             
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

We walk away this morning with the understanding that even today there are some who are disturbed when God blesses His work, but Nehemiah reminds us we should not fear that the work of God is finally dependent upon human attitudes. We are involved in a spiritual conflict of cosmic proportions, but God’s armor is available, and his victory is assured (Eph 6:10–18).

APPLICATION:

           As I read this verse I am reminded of my childhood. If I found out someone didn’t like me (whoever it was), it disturbed me. I would react in a multitude of different ways: anger, jealousy, rage, tears, and the list could go on. My conclusion to the fact of that person not liking me was because of who I was, how I was, and what I was. But as I got older I started to realize that this was not the case. The majority of the time, the reason someone didn’t like me or had something against me was because our spirit didn’t line up. We are given examples in scripture that reveals this concept: Unequally yoked or an evil spirit opposed to a christlike spirit.
          Nehemiah had not even started and opposition was rising up. The same may be true with us in the world we live in. Today, as a believer, we may run across someone who is against what we are doing, what we are thinking, or what we are saying. This may not be personal but yet it might. Whatever the case may be, there is a good chance it all stems from the fact that your Spirit is not equally yoked with theirs. Stay the course, keep your eyes on the task at hand and don’t stop praying. Remember this verse, I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Breneman, M. (1993). Vol. 10: Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther (electronic ed.). The New American Commentary (178–179). Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment