Tuesday, August 21, 2012

“Underthebreath” Prayers! (Nehemiah 2:4-5)




Then the king said to me, “What are you requesting?” So I prayed to the God of heaven. And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers’ graves, that I may rebuild it.”

THE STUDY:

          Obviously Nehemiah had prepared for this moment he had prayed for. Besides seeking God’s help in prayer, he utilized all the human resources available, including his intellectual capabilities, his past experiences, his accumulated wisdom, his role and position in life, and people with whom he came in contact (in this instance, the king of Persia).
          Between the king’s question (v. 4a) and Nehemiah’s answer (v. 5), the cupbearer “breathed” a brief prayer to the God of heaven (cf. 1:4-5). This short prayer—whatever its unvoiced words—was built on his praying for four months. No doubt he asked for wisdom in stating his request properly and for a favorable reply from the king.[1]
         
                   
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that quick prayers are possible and valid if one has prayed sufficiently beforehand. In this case Nehemiah’s prayer is evidence of a life lived in constant communion with God. Nehemiah had prayed for months, but he knew he was completely dependent on God’s work in the king’s heart at this moment.[2]

APPLICATION:

          Sitting in my office working on the upcoming Sunday’s message I would have people stop in to see me. By knowing who the individuals were, I could be able to determine if this was a social, counseling, or complaining visit. The social visit was one I always look forward to. The counseling and complaining visits were the ones that I had no time to prepare for in prayer. I start my day off in prayer and generalize it with, “Lord, whatever I encounter today please go before me and prepare the way.” As the meetings would progress I find myself saying “underthebreath” prayers while I am listening to the person or people. I found that God hears those prayers and answers them just as he does our verbal, lengthy prayers.
           Today, you are ready to face the day! But you don’t know what’s around the corner. It could be a pleasant experience or one that calls for God’s immediate guidance. Whichever it may be, saying an “underthebreath” prayer will be heard and honored by God. Just Keep Praying!

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod

[1] Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1985). The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (Ne 2:4). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
[2] Breneman, M. (1993). Vol. 10: Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther (electronic ed.). The New American Commentary (176). Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment