Monday, August 27, 2012

He Gets The Glory! (Nehemiah 2:7-8)




And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, let letters be given me to the governors of the province Beyond the River, that they may let me pass through until I come to Judah, and a letter to Asaph, the keeper of the king’s forest, that he may give me timber to make beams for the gates of the fortress of the temple, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall occupy.” And the king granted me what I asked, for the good hand of my God was upon me.

THE STUDY:

          What we see in these two verses is Nehemiahs preparation and understanding of how things worked. He knew leaders names and their area of responsible. What I found profound was the last statement in verse 8, And the king granted me what I asked, for the good hand of my God was upon me.
          Nehemiah was realistic, giving God the credit for causing the king to grant his requests. Because Nehemiah was sure this was of God, he had no problem accepting what the king offered. In the Bible, God often uses the king of a country in the divine plan (e.g., Exod 6:1; 10:1; 14:4; Isa 45:1–7).
          God’s work and our planning are not contradictory. J. White notes, “Prayer is where planning starts.” Nehemiah modeled good leadership; he prayed, planned, and acted in dependence on God and submission to his guidance. Neither is research contrary to dependence on God. Nehemiah knew who the officials were with whom he would have to deal, so he requested the credentials he would need as the project progressed.[1]
                             
WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We walk away this morning with the understanding that through research and planning God’s plan is destined for victory. We are to put forth our best for God but we are to also remember the Glory goes to Him.

APPLICATION:

           Burt Reynolds starred in an old film entitled "The End". In the film he decides to commit suicide by swimming out as far as he can until he is exhausted and then just go under. But after going under he is looking at the surface from the underside and decides not to go through with it. As he breaks the surface of the water he screams, "I want to live! I want to live!" He then begins to try to swim to shore, but it is a very long way off. As he begins to swim he talks to God. He promises to obey all of the Ten Commandments, and then realizes he doesn't know what all of them are so he promises to learn them. Then, in his panic, he says, "Lord, if you get me out of this, I will give you 80% of everything I have." But time passes and he is still going strong, and besides he can just begin to see the shoreline. But as he continues to swim he feels his strength holding out and says, "Lord, if you help me to get to shore alive I will give you 10% of all my earnings." And, finally, he struggles to the place where he sees that he is just going to be able to make it to land and says, "Well, Lord, let's just forget about what I said before. I think I can make it from here on my own." Reynolds' attitude is reflective of the attitude of many people today
          Nehemiah knew He needed God to accomplish the task at hand. He never forgot who was doing what. Not the King but the King of Kings! Today, let us not forget we can research, prepare, and accomplish great things through God, but he must get the Glory!

Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod

[1] Breneman, M. (1993). Vol. 10: Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther (electronic ed.). The New American Commentary (177). Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment