Thursday, September 8, 2011

I John 2:1 (Part 3)

View Video Blog for this Lesson: I John 2:1 (Part 3)

I John 2:1

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.


THE STUDY:

          This morning we are going to wrap up 2:1 by looking at the help that is offered by God concerning sin; Jesus Christ! I don’t think I need to go into detail with you concerning the actions and reasoning of the Son of God. I believe John 3:16 covers all of that. What I do want to talk to you about this morning is the word found in this passage, “advocate.” Almost all of the translations render this with one word, “advocate.” The NIV translates this word into a phrase, “…one who speaks to the Father in our defense.” 
          I have to admit, as I was looking at this passage I wanted to research the Greek word, paraklÄ“tos. The NIV translators felt a need to explain, with a more complete sentence, this word. I am not saying one translation is better than the other. What I am trying to comprehend is the word itself. When we look up this definition of the word it reads as such; legal adviser, advocate, counselor, or helper. In our pulpits today we hear many preachers talk about Jesus as our advocate. They are talking about someone who is our legal adviser before God. It would be so easy to translate this same meaning to this passage but I don’t see it that same way. I believe this passage is representing a more personable Jesus. Not as a legal advisor but as a friend.
Let me explain why I feel this way. This same word (paraklÄ“tos) can be found in John 14:16, “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever…” This is Jesus speaking and he is talking about the Holy Spirit. Jesus is referring to the fact that the Holy Spirit, just as He, is our helper. I feel the NIV got it right because only a friend would help another friend without any payment for service. Jesus is our advocate but He is our friend as well. He goes before the father not out of legal obligation but out of love for us. And, by the way, Jesus paid what we owed in FULL!

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • Today, my prayer is that we understand the motives of Jesus. John knew him best, of all human beings. He understood that Christ stands at the right hand of God, not out of prestige, power, or fame, but out of love for us. Just like Moses, who stood before God on the mountain tops and interceded for the people, he did it because he loved the people. Jesus does it because He loves us.
  • Let us remember as spiritual leaders of today (at church, or in our homes) we need to intercede for the lost, the hurting, the battered, and the bruised. Present them to Christ and ask for the Holy Spirit to do what only he can do so that all may come to know the one true God.  

CONCLUSION:

          Let me share a story; Dr. Robert Oppenheimer, who supervised the creation of the first atomic bomb, appeared before a Congressional Committee. They inquired of him if there were any defense against the weapon. “Certainly,” the great physicist replied.  “And that is—” Dr. Oppenheimer looked over the hushed, expectant audience and said softly: “Peace.”
          In order to have peace in our hearts or in the hearts of our neighbors, friends, or family members, there must be an acceptance of someone who is willing to go before God as a friend and plead our case. That someone is JESUS CHRIST. Want peace? Try Jesus!


Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment