Friday, September 9, 2011

I John 2:2

View Video Blog right click here:  I John 2:2

I John 2:2

He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

THE STUDY:

Today we are in Verse 2 and what a verse it is! If any believer was to wonder on what grounds he might receive God’s mercy after he has failed, the answer is found in this verse. So adequate is Jesus Christ as God’s atoning Sacrifice that the effectiveness of His work extends not merely to the sins of believers themselves, but also to the sins of the whole world.
I cannot help but see two loving features Christ displays in verses 1 and 2; advocate and propitiation. We have already discussed the word advocate. Today I would like to expound on the word propitiation. This word is one that is used by many of the old scholars. It is a word that is rich in theology, however, in today’s language it doesn’t have the same punch as it once had in the past. Some of the newer translations use the phrase, “atoning sacrifice” so the reader may be able to understand this act of Christ better. The bottom line is, when it comes to Christ being the atoning sacrifice, it's for all who has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Not just for the believers but the entire world. This doesn’t mean we don’t have to do anything in regards to sin. We must confess our sin’s and ask for forgiveness of them and once we do, we are forgiven and cleansed from the guilt of them.
Propitiation is a similar word equivalent to the Septuagint translators render in Ex. 25:17 “You shall make a mercy seat of pure gold. Two cubits and a half shall be its length, and a cubit and a half its breadth.” It means “covering,” and is used to describe the lid of the Ark of the Covenant (Ex. 25:21; 30:6). This Greek word (hilasterion) came to denote not only the mercy-seat or lid of the ark, but also propitiation or reconciliation by blood. On the great day of atonement the high priest carried the blood of the sacrifice he offered for all the people within the veil and sprinkled with it the “mercy-seat,” and so made propitiation.[1]
So we can conclude the fact that Christ not only goes to the Father on our behalf (Advocate), he paid the price for all of our sin’s, IN FULL (Propitiator)!

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH ….

  • We can walk away this morning knowing that if we were to tell God, I am not going to do it YOUR way but MY way this morning. We have an opportunity to come back and seek forgiveness because of this atoning sacrifice Christ paid for us all. All we have to do is turn back, ask for forgiveness, and accept this blessing Christ has provided for us.

CONCLUSION:

          I have preached a multitude of sermons and in one way or the other I have shared this illustration of our relationship with the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. In this relationship Jesus is our intercessor to the Father. What does that look like?  When God looks down on earth He doesn’t see Rod Kincaid. He sees Jesus, the one whom I have asked into my heart and to forgive me of all my sins. I don’t want God to see ME, this creature who has not come into the fullness of His blessing (heaven) yet. I want him to see the one who paid it all for me and whom through I can have access to this wonderful place called heaven someday.
           This is why I do what I do! So that whoever I may come in contact with through my preaching, teaching, video blogs, devotional blogs, facebook, Twitter, or just cross paths with on the street, I might introduce them to the one who changed my life forever. My Advocate and propitiator to the creator of the universe, JESUS CHRIST! I hope that is why you do what you do as well.


Blessings my friends
Pastor Rod



[1] Easton, M. (1996). Easton's Bible dictionary. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment