Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Study of I John 1:8

View Video Blog for this lesson:   I John 1:8

I John 1:8

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

THE STUDY

          Again we see John using contrast #3 (the negative). He is combating the Gnostic view that we (as human beings) do not have any principle of sin within us, since matter is evil and the soul is not contaminated by sinful flesh. John says that we are deceiving ourselves when we make these types of claims. As a Pastor of a Nazarene church I believe that we do not sin every day in thought and deed. We need to understand what the definition of sin is; a willful transgression against a known law of God. Translated, this means, I put my hand up to God and say; “I don’t care what you command or ask of me in a given situation. I am going to do it my way.”
The mistake John is addressing in this passage of scripture is us saying, “We have arrived.” We no longer have to deal with sin and the temptation of it. If this be the case, 13 books of the New Testament would be omitted due to Paul writing to the church and warning them against “SIN.” We need to be careful to not allow our pride to get in the way of our beliefs. At any point in time we can fall away, walk away or refuse to believe that we will sin again. We are too weak and Satan is too crafty for us to believe this. Through Christ we receive our strength and the power to combat the enemy.
John is saying in this verse that those who claim the fact of having no sin are ones who are not in the truth. What they are speaking is heresy and should be avoided at all cost. The only one that John say will be negatively affected by claiming “no sin” is the one claiming it.
John uses the word’s “we” and “us” deliberately. He includes himself along with the reader in this consequential statement. He does this for two reasons; 1) So the Gnositc's would be more receptive to the truth, 2) for the reader today!
           

WHAT WE CAN WALK AWAY WITH …

  • Salvation and Sanctification is not an end result, but a starting point. Saying we have obtained all and can stop walking in the light, is like saying “I do” at the wedding and then stop developing the relationship with each other. You will not be married very long, nor will you experience the fullness God has for you.

CONCLUSION:

           I have heard the old saying concerning our walk with God. Some believe that you only need to come to the altar twice; once for salvation and the other for sanctification. I will repeat what I said earlier, these two acts are from God and should not be viewed as an end result but a starting point.

Blessings my friends

Pastor Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment